- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the serpentine drive belt. Remove the crankshaft balance-to-crankshaft bolt.
- Using a small prybar, pry the oil seal from the front cover. Be careful not to damage the sealing surfaces.
- Clean the oil seal mounting surface. Using the proper lubricant coat the outside of the seal and the crankshaft balancer.
- Using the oil seal installation tool, drive the new seal into the front cover until it seats.
- Install the bolt and washer, torque the bolt to 219 ft. lbs. (297 Nm) on 3.8L (vin C) engine and 110 ft. lbs. + 76° turn (150 Nm + 76° turn on 3.8L (vins L & 1). Install the serpentine drive belt.
- Connect the negative battery cable.