REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3.8L (VIN C) Engine
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Place a clean drain pan under the radiator, open the drain cock and drain the cooling system.
- Remove the serpentine drive belt, the alternator and the bracket.
- Remove the power steering pump, the braces and move it aside; do not disconnect the pressure lines.
- Remove the coolant bypass hose, the heater pipe and the upper radiator hose from the intake manifold.
- Remove the vacuum hoses and disconnect the electrical connectors from the intake manifold.
- Remove the egr pipe, the egr valve and the adapter from the throttle body.
- Remove the throttle body coolant pipe, the throttle body and the throttle body adapter.
- Disconnect the rear spark plug wires. Remove the intake manifold-to-engine bolts and the manifold.
- Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Install new gaskets and the proper sealant on the ends of the manifold seals.
- Install the intake manifold and tighten the mounting bolts, in sequence, twice to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Connect the rear spark plug wires.
- Install the throttle body adapter, throttle body and the throttle body coolant pipe. Tighten the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the egr valve and adapter. Replace the egr pipe.
- Connect the vacuum hoses and the electrical connections to the intake manifold.
- Install the coolant pipe, upper radiator hose and the upper bypass hose to the intake manifold.
- Install the power steering pump and bracket assembly.
- Install the alternator and bracket assembly. Replace the serpentine belt.
- Refill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine, allow it to reach normal operating temperatures and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the fuel injector sight shield and the air intake duct.
- Remove and tag the right side spark plug wires. Remove the fuel rail assembly.
- Remove the exhaust crossover heat shield.
- Remove the cable bracket to the cylinder head mounting bolt.
- Remove the power steering pump support bracket. Remove the alternator bracket and remove the alternator out of the way.
- Remove the heater pipes and bypass hose.
- Remove the intake manifold bolts and the intake manifold assembly.
On the supercharged engine (vin 1), the supercharger does not have to be removed when removing the intake manifold. It may be left together as a complete assembly.
- Install the intake manifold bolts and tighten the bolts to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm) twice in the proper sequence.
- Connect the bypass hose and the heater pipes.
- Install the alternator bracket and return the alternator to it's proper position.
- Install the power steering pump support bracket. Install the cable bracket to the cylinder head.
- Install the exhaust crossover heat shield and the fuel rail.
- Install the right side spark plug wires and install the fu