REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old. The epa warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.
3.8 VIN C Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.
- Remove the serpentine drive belt and the heater pipes.
- Disconnect the lower radiator and bypass hoses from the cover.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right front tire and wheel assembly and replace the inner splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft bolt and balancer.
- Disconnect the electrical connections at the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor and the oil pressure switch.
- Remove the oil pan-to-front cover bolts.
- Remove the front cover mounting bolts and the cover assembly.
- Clean the gasket surfaces at the cover and the cylinder block.
- Install the gasket to the cylinder block.
- Install the front cover and tighten the mounting bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Replace the oil pan-to-cover mounting bolts and tighten to 124 inch lbs. (14 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connections and install the crankshaft balance.
- Install the inner fender splash shield and the right front tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle. Replace the coolant bypass hose and radiator hoses.
- Connect the heater pipes and install the drive belt.
- Refill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley using tool J38197 or equivalent.
- Remove the sensor shield.
- Remove the oil pan to front cover bolts.
- Remove the front cover attaching bolts and remove the cover.
- Install the front cover and the attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the oil pan to front cover bolts and tighten to 124 inch lbs. (14 Nm).
- Adjust the crankshaft sensor using tool J37087 or equivalent.
- Install the sensor shield and install the pulley and the bolt. Tighten the bolt to 105 ft. lbs. (140 Nm) + 56 degrees turn.
- Install the drive belt and connect the negative battery cable.