REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3.8 VIN C Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.
- Remove the serpentine drive belt and the heater pipes.
- Disconnect the lower radiator and bypass hoses from the cover.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right front tire and wheel assembly and replace the inner splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft bolt and balancer.
- Disconnect the electrical connections at the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor and the oil pressure switch.
- Remove the oil pan-to-front cover bolts.
- Remove the front cover mounting bolts and the cover assembly.
- Clean the gasket surfaces at the cover and the cylinder block.
- Install the gasket to the cylinder block.
- Install the front cover and tighten the mounting bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Replace the oil pan-to-cover mounting bolts and tighten to 124 inch lbs. (14 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connections and install the crankshaft balance.
- Install the inner fender splash shield and the right front tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle. Replace the coolant bypass hose and radiator hoses.
- Connect the heater pipes and install the drive belt.
- Refill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley using tool J38197 or equivalent.
- Remove the sensor shield.
- Remove the oil pan to front cover bolts.
- Remove the front cover attaching bolts and remove the cover.
- Install the front cover and the attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the oil pan to front cover bolts and tighten to 124 inch lbs. (14 Nm).
- Adjust the crankshaft sensor using tool J37087 or equivalent.
- Install the sensor shield and install the pulley and the bolt. Tighten the bolt to 105 ft. lbs. (140 Nm) + 56 degrees turn.
- Install the drive belt and connect the negative battery cable.