REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the front cover.
- Remove the button and spring/damper assembly from the center of the camshaft. Align the marks of the timing sprockets as they must be close together.
- Remove the camshaft sprocket bolts, the sprocket and the timing chain.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket. Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Install the timing chain and sprockets by performing the following:
- Assemble the timing chain on the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprockets.
- Align the marks on the sprockets; they must face each other.
- Slide the assembly onto the camshaft and crankshaft. Install the camshaft sprocket-to-camshaft bolts. Tighten the camshaft sprocket-to-camshaft sprocket bolts to 27-28 ft. lbs.
(37-38 Nm) except 1992-93 vehicles. Tighten the camshaft sprocket-to-camshaft bolts on the 1992-93 vehicles to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) + 105 degrees.
Align the camshaft sprocket mark with the balancer shaft sprocket mark.
- Install the camshaft button and spring/damper assembly. Tighten the bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Replace the front cover assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Refill the cooling system. Start the engine, allow it to reach normal operating temperatures and check for leaks.