REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.
- Remove the serpentine drive belt and the coolant hoses from the water pump.
- Remove the water pump pulley bolts and the pulley; the long bolt can be removed through the access hole in the body side rail.
- Remove the water pump-to-engine bolts and the pump.
- Clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Install a new gasket and pump assembly.
- Install the water pump-to-engine mounting bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) for 1990 engines and 126 inch lbs. (15 Nm) for 1991-93 engines.
- Connect the coolant hoses to the water pump and install the serpentine drive belt.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill cooling system and check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Recheck for leaks. When the engine cools down, top off the coolant.