The exhaust system pipes rearward of the mufflers, are replaced whenever a new muffler is installed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
- On the single pipe system, cut the exhaust pipe near the front of the muffler. On the dual pipe system, remove the U-bolt clamp at the front of the muffler and disengage the muffler from the exhaust pipe.
Before cutting the exhaust pipe, measure the service muffler exhaust pipe extension and make certain to allow 1 1 / 2 inches (38mm) for the exhaust pipe-to-muffler extension engagement.
- At the rear of the muffler, remove the U-bolt clamp and disengage the muffler from the tailpipe.
- Remove the tailpipe clamps and the tailpipe.
- Inspect the muffler and the tailpipe hangers; replace if necessary.
- To install, add sealer to the connecting surfaces, assemble the system, check the clearances and tighten all of the attachments.
- All clamps should be tight to about 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm). Do over tighten the clamps, if pipes become dented they can leak also it makes it almost impossible to remove if the pipe is dented to much.