Brake shoes contain asbestos, which has been determined to be a cancer-causing agent. Never clean the brake surfaces with compressed air! Avoid inhaling any dust from any brake surface! The first step in brake repairs should be cleaning brake surfaces, using a commercially available brake cleaning fluid.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the car.
- Remove the brake drum, shoes and springs as previously described.
- Remove the brake line from the wheel cylinder.
- Remove the parking brake cable.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly.
- Remove the backing plate.
- Install the backing plate to axle.
- Install the hub and bearing assembly.
- Install the parking brake cable.
- Install the wheel cylinder and brake line, following procedures given earlier.
- Install the brake components, shoes, spring, etc.
- Adjust and bleed the rear brakes.
- Adjust the parking brake cables.