REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
If the vehicle is not equipped with an air bag, skip Steps 1 and 2 and simply disconnect the negative battery cable. Also, disregard all instructions below related to air bags.
- Follow all precautions above listed under `steering.'
- Follow instructions above listed under `disarming,' and disarm the sir system.
- Remove the lower instrument panel trim plates. Remove the left side sound insulator panel.
- If equipped with column shift, remove the shift indicator cable from the shift bowl and remove the brace. If equipped with console shift, remove the park lock lock cable from the ignition switch inhibitor.
- Label and disconnect the electrical connectors from the steering column. Remove the steering column-to-dash bolts.
- Remove the steering shaft-to-intermediate shaft bolt and the steering column from the vehicle.
- If disassembling the steering column, use the accompanying illustrations as a guide and keep the following points in mind:
- The steering column is designed to collapse in the event of a collision. If the quality of the column is questionable due to a collision, abuse, etc., replace the entire assembly, or have it inspected by a certified professional.
- Due to the complex nature of the steering column, special tools are required in order to safely service many parts of the steering column. If you cannot obtain the proper tools, do not substitute homemade versions, instead have the column serviced by a certified professional.
- The above are designed to prevent undo stress to the column components (i.e. hammering or prying). Parts that are unnecessarily abused will affect the collapsibility of the column.
- All parts, especially fasteners, are of specific material, length, and strength. If replacement is necessary, use only the specified part number or collapsibility of the column will be compromised. Be prepared for the inconvenience of sparse parts availability.
- If, during servicing, the column is dropped or otherwise accidentally damaged and the quality of the column is consequently questionable, replace the entire assembly, or have it inspected by a certified professional.
- Install the steering column to the vehicle and steering shaft-to-intermediate shaft bolt. Tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install the steering column-to-dash bolts. Be sure the seal is properly seated. Connect the electrical connectors to the steering column.
- Install the shift indicator cable to the shift bowl or park lock lock cable to the ignition switch inhibitor. Install the brace.
- Install the lower instrument panel trim plates. Install the left side sound insulator panel.
- If equipped with an air bag, follow instructions above listed under `arming,' and arm the sir system, otherwise simply connect the negative battery cable.