REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
If the vehicle is not equipped with an air bag, skip Steps 1 and 2 and simply disconnect the negative battery cable. Also, disregard all instructions below related to air bags.
- Follow all precautions above listed under `steering.'
- Follow instructions above listed under `disarming,' and disarm the sir system.
- Remove the steering wheel and the shroud.
- Remove the inflation restraint (air bag module) coil assembly-to-steering shaft lock screw (home boss) and retaining ring. Remove the coil assembly from the shaft and allow it to hang freely.
- Using the lock plate compression tool or equivalent, position it on the end of the steering shaft and compress the lock plate by turning the shaft nut clockwise. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove.
- Remove the tool and lift the lock plate from the shaft.
- Remove the canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring, bearing seat and inner race from the shaft.
- Position the turn signal switch in the right turn position. Remove the turn signal lever screw and the lever.
- Remove the turn signal switch by performing the following:
- Remove the switch-to-steering column screws, pull the switch out and allow it to hang freely.
- From under the dash, remove the retainer spring and wiring protector.
- Remove the hazard knob.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the lower steering column and gently pull the wiring connector through the gear shift lever bowl, the column housing and the lock housing cover. Remove the switch.
- Install the turn signal switch harness through the steering column housing and connect the switch and screw.
- Install the switch actuator arm and screw.
- Install the inner race, bearing seat and the bearing preload spring. Replace the turn signal canceling cam.
- Install the lock plate, using a lock plate compression tool, compress the lock plate and install the shaft lock retaining ring.
- To install the inflation restraint coil, perform the following procedures:
- Install the home boss-to-steering column lock screw, allowing the hub to rotate.
- While holding the coil assembly (in one hand) with the steering wheel connector facing upwards, rotate the coil hub in the appropriate direction until it stops; the coil ribbon is now wound snug.
- Rotate the coil hub 2 / 2 turns in the opposite direction until the center lock hole is even with the notch in the coil housing.
- While holding the hub in position, install the lock screw into the center lock hole.
- Install the coil assembly using the horn tower on the inner ring canceling cam and outer ring projections for alignment purposes.
- Install the steering wheel and the shroud.
- If equipped with an air bag, follow instructions above listed under `arming,' and arm the sir system, otherwise simply connect the negative battery cable.