REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Drain the coolant to below thermostat level.
- Remove the two retaining bolts from the thermostat housing (it is not necessary to remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing). The thermostat housing is located on the front top of the intake manifold on V6s and V8s and directly in front of the valve cover on inline 6-cylinder engines.
- Lift the thermostat out of the housing.
- Clean the gasket surfaces, use a new gasket and gasket sealer, then install the new thermostat with the "spring side" down.
- Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 20-30 ft. lbs. and refill the radiator.