REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 230 and 250 Engines
Exhaust manifold removal for these model years is covered in the Intake Manifold Removal and Installation procedure earlier in this section.
See Figure 1
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the power steering and air pump brackets.
- Remove the EFE valve bracket.
- Disconnect the throttle linkage and return spring.
- Unbolt the exhaust pipe from the flange.
- Unbolt and remove the manifold.
- Reverse the procedure for installation. Tighten the four end-bolts to specifications last.
231, 265, 301, 305, 326, 350, 400, 403 and 455 Engines1967-74 Models
See Figures 2 through 7
- Remove the alternator and bracket as an assembly.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
- Remove the carburetor air preheater shroud from the manifold.
- Straighten the tabs on the manifold bolt locks, remove the bolts and the manifold.
- Clean the gasket surfaces and position the manifold on the engine, holding it in place with the two end bolts.
- Insert the gasket between the manifold and the head.
- Install the remaining bolts with new bolt locks and tighten them evenly to 30 ft. lbs. Bolt locks go only on the front and rear bolts.
- Install the carburetor air preheater shroud.
- Connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold and tighten to 30 ft. lbs.
- If equipped with AIR, remove the air injector manifold assembly. The 1 / 4 in. pipe threads in the manifold are straight threads. Do not use a 1 / 4 in. tapered pipe tap to clean the threads.
- Disconnect the battery.
- If applicable, remove the air cleaner preheater shroud.
- Remove the spark plug wire heat shields.
- On the left exhaust manifold, disconnect and remove the alternator.
- On models equipped with the 301 Turbo engine, the inlet pipe to the turbocharger must be removed from the right manifold; unscrew the three bolts and lift the pipe out of the way.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and hang it from the frame out of the way.
- Bend the locktabs and remove the end bolts, then the center bolts. Remove the manifold.
A9/16in. thin wall 6-point socket, sharpened at the leading edge and tapped onto the head of the bolt, simplifies bending the locktabs.
When installing a new right-side manifold on 1978 and later V8's, you must transfer the heat stove from the old manifold to the new one.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Clean all mating surfaces and use new gaskets. Tighten all bolts to specifications from the inside working out.