REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Open the trunk lid and place protective coverings over the rear fenders to protect the paint from damage.
- Mark the location of the hinge-to-trunk lid bolts and detach the electrical connections and wiring from the lid, if equipped.
- Using an assistant to support the lid, remove the hinge-to-lid bolts and the lid from the vehicle.
Some later vehicles use gas cushioned shock type assemblies to aid in supporting the trunk lid assembly. Remove the retaining clips and remove the shock assemblies from the trunk lid before removing the hinge retaining bolts.To install:
- Reverse the removal procedures. Adjust the position of the trunk lid to the body.
- If equipped, rear compartment torque rods are adjustable to increase or decrease operating effort. To increase the amount of effort needed to raise the rear compartment lid or to decrease the amount of effort to close the lid, reposition the end of the rod to a lower torque rod adjusting notch. To decrease the amount of effort needed to raise the rear compartment lid or to increase the amount of effort to close the lid, reposition the end of the rod to a higher torque rod adjusting notch. Prop the trunk lid in full-open position to keep lid from falling when torque rods are disengaged from the torque rod bracket.
The trunk lid can be aligned slightly by loosening the hinge-to-lid bolts and shifting the lid into position.
When adjusting the hinge/latch-to-body positions, be sure to use alignment marks as reference points.