REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the rear of the car enough for the axle assembly to hang freely. Place jackstands under both frame side rails near the front of the spring.
- Remove the spring tension by raising the axle assembly.
- Remove the lower bolt from the shock absorber.
- Loosen the bolt holding the spring eye to its bracket.
- Remove the spring retainer bracket.
- Remove the parking brake cable from the retainer bracket mounted on the spring-mounted plate.
- Remove the retaining nuts from the lower spring plate to the axle bracket.
- Remove both upper and lower rubber spring pads and the spring plate.
- Place a jack under the spring and remove the lower bolt from the rear shackle. Remove the spring from the car. Remove the shackle upper bolt and shackle bushings from the frame.
- Position the front mounting bracket to the front eye of the spring.
- Install the bolt so that the bolt head is toward the center of the car.
- Place the shackle upper bushings in the frame and position the shackles up to the bushings and loosely install the bolt and nut.
- Install the bushing in the rear eye of the spring, lift the spring up the shackles and loosely install the shackle bolt and nut.
The parking brake cable must be on the underside of the spring.
- Raise the front of the spring and position the bracket to the underbody, making sure that the tab on the bracket is inserted into the slot on the body.
- Loosely install the spring-to-underbody bracket.
- Place the spring upper cushion between the spring and axle bracket aligning the cushion ribs with the bracket ribs.
- Place the lower spring cushion on the spring locating dowel.
- Place the lower mounting plate over the dowel on the spring lower pad and loosely install the nuts.
- Position the shock absorber to the spring plate and loosely install the bolt and nut to the eye of the spring, making sure that the head of the bolt is toward the front of the car.
- Position and secure the parking brake cable in the cable bracket.
- Lower the car and tighten the bolts.