See Figure 1
The VSS is located on the transmission and sends a pulsing voltage signal to the ECM which is converted to miles per hour. This sensor mainly controls the operation of the TCC system, shift light, cruise control and activation of the EGR system.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the VSS electrical wiring.
- Remove the retaining bolt.
- Have a clean container to catch the transmission fluid and remove the VSS.
- Remove and discard the O-ring.
- Lubricate a new O-ring with a thin film of transmission fluid. Install the O-ring and VSS.
- Install the retaining bolt.
- Connect the electrical wiring.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Refill transmission to proper level.