REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
This procedure is to be performed with the alternator removed from the vehicle. The new style CS alternators on 1987-92 vehicles are non-serviceable and must be replaced as an assembly.
- Make scribe marks on the end frames to make reassembly easier.
- Remove the 4 through-bolts and separate the drive end frame assembly from the rectifier end frame assembly.
- Remove the 3 diode trio attaching nuts and the 3 regulator attaching screws.
- Remove the diode trio and the regulator from the end frame.
- Push the brushes into the brush holder and install a brush retainer or a tooth pick to hold the brushes in place.
- Install the regulator into the alternator.
- Install the diode trio.
- Install the halves of the alternator and secure the halves with the 4 through-bolts. After the alternator is assembled, remove the brush retainer.