REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
On doors that are equipped with power operated components, do the following:
- Remove the door trim panel and inner panel water deflector.
- Disconnect the wire harness from all components in the door.
- Remove the rubber conduit from the door, then remove the wire harness from the door through the conduit access hole.
- Tape the area (on the door pillar and body pillar) above the lower hinge with cloth backed body tape.
- Insert a long, flat-blade screwdriver under the pivot point of the hold-open link and over the top of the spring. The screwdriver should be positioned so as not to apply pressure to the hold-open link. Cover the spring with a shop cloth or rag and lift the screwdriver to disengage the spring. The spring can also be removed by using tool J-36604 (or equivalent) door hinge spring compressor tool.
The tool is stamped right side and left side. The tool stamped left side is used to service the right-hand hinge spring and vise-a-versa for the tool stamped right side.
- With the aid of a helper to support the door, remove the lower hinge pin using a soft-headed hammer and locking type pliers. The helper can aid the hinge pin removal by raising and lowering the rear of the door.
- Insert a bolt into the hole of the lower hinge to maintain the door attachment during upper hinge removal.
- Using a 13mm socket, remove the upper hinge bolts from the pillar. Remove the bolt from the lower hinge and remove the door from the body.
- Replace the hinge pin clip.
- With the aid of a helper, position the door and insert the bolt in the hole of the lower hinge.
- Bolt the upper hinge to the body. The lower hinge pin is installed with the pointed end down.
- Remove the screw from the lower hinge and install the lower hinge pin. The use of tool J-36604 or equivalent is recommended for installing the hinge spring.
If the spring is installed before installing the lower hinge pin, damage to the hinge bushings may result.
If the spring was removed using a screwdriver, install the spring as follows:
- Place the spring in tool J-36604 or equivalent.
- Place the tool and spring in a bench vise.
- Compress the tool in the vise and install the bolt until the spring is fully compressed.
- Remove the tool (with the compressed spring) from the vise and install in the proper position in the door lower hinge. A slot in one jaw fits over the hold-open link. The hole on the other jaw fits over the bubble.
- Remove the bolt from the tool to install the spring.
- Remove the tool from the door hinge (tool will fall out in three pieces). Cycle the door to check the spring operation.
- Remove the tape from the door and the body pillars.
On doors with power operated components:
- Install the wire harness to the door through the conduit access hole, then install the rubber conduit to the door.
- Connect wire harness to all components in the door.
- Install the inner panel water deflector and door trim panel.