See Figure 1
All terms used in the following procedure match those which are used in the accompanying illustration. No linkage adjustment is possible on the 5-speed transmissions.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.
- Place the shift control lever (F) in Neutral.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
- Remove the swivel retainers (P) from the levers (E, H, and J).
- Remove the swivels (S) from the shifter assembly (G), and loosen the swivel locknuts (R and T).
- Make sure that levers L, M, and N are in their Neutral positions (center detents).
- Align the holes of levers E, H, and J with the notch in the shifter assembly (G). Insert an alignment gauge (J-33195) to hold the levers in this position.
- Insert swivel S into lever E and install washer Q. Secure with retainer P.
- Apply rearward pressure (Z) to lever N. Tighten locknuts R and T (at the same time) against swivel S to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for rod D and levers J and M.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 for rod K and levers H and L.
- Remove the alignment gauge, lower the vehicle, and check the operation of the shifting mechanism.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.