REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Chevrolet and GMC use U-bolts or straps to secure the driveshaft to the pinion flange. Use the following procedure to remove the driveshaft.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Scribe alignment marks on the driveshaft and the pinion flange to aid in reassembly.
- Remove the U-bolts or straps at the axle end of the shaft. Compress the shaft slightly and tape the bearings into place to avoid losing them.
- Remove the U-bolts or straps at the transfer case end of the shaft. Tape the bearings into place.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Make certain that the marks made earlier line up correctly to prevent possible imbalances. Be sure that the constant velocity joint is at the transfer case end.