REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly drain the radiator until the level is below the thermostat level (below the level of the intake manifold).
- Unfasten the water outlet elbow retaining bolts, then remove the water outlet elbow assembly from the engine.
- Remove the gasket.
- Remove the thermostat from inside the elbow. Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces.
- Install new thermostat in the reverse order of removal, making sure the spring side is inserted into the elbow. Clean the gasket surfaces on the water outlet elbow and the intake manifold. Use a new gasket when installing the elbow to the manifold. On later models the thermostat housing may have been sealed with RTV sealant. If so, place a 1 / 8 in. bead of RTV sealer all around the thermostat housing sealing surface on the intake manifold and install the housing while it is still wet. Refill the radiator to approximately 2 1 / 2 in. below the filler neck.
If the thermostat is equipped with a pin hole, be sure to install pin side facing upwards.