REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING
- Drain the cooling system and disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove the electrical connection at the blower.
- Remove the heater hoses at the core tubes.
- Remove the right front fender skirt. Remove enough screws so that the fender can be moved outward.
- Working from under the instrument panel, remove the seal on the temperature door cable and disconnect the cable from the temperature door.
- Pull the case away from the mounting studs after removing the retaining bolts.
- Remove the core retainers and remove the core.
- The installation procedure is the reverse of removal.
Models with dealer installed air conditioning use the same procedure as those without air conditioning.
- Drain the coolant. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the heater hoses from the core tubes at the firewall.
- Remove the stud nuts on the engine side of the firewall.
- Remove the glove box.
- Unplug the relay connector and remove the right ball outlet hose.
- Remove the screw holding the panel outlet air distributor to the heater case. Remove the heater case retaining screws.
- Pull the heater case away from the firewall; reach in and disconnect the resistor connector. Remove the resistor harness grommet and remove the harness.
- Remove the heater case. Remove the core mounting straps. Reverse the procedure for installation.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the heater hoses at the core tubes and drain the engine coolant. Plug the core tubes to prevent spillage.
- Remove the nuts from the distributor air ducts in the engine compartment.
- Remove the glove compartment and door.
- Disconnect the Air-Defrost and Temperature door cables.
- Remove the floor outlet and remove the defroster duct-to-heater distributor screw.
- Remove the heater distributor-to-instrument panel screws. Pull the assembly rearward to gain access to the wiring harness and disconnect the wires attached to the unit.
- Remove the heater distributor from the truck.
- Remove the heater core retaining straps and remove the core from the truck.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure that the core-to-core and case-to-dash panel sealer is intact. Fill the cooling system and check for leaks.