REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 3 / 4 and 10 1 / 2 in. Ring Gears
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Allow the rear axle assembly to hang freely. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies. Drain the lubricant.
- Remove the axle shaft to hub retaining nuts. Rap the axle shaft to loosen it from the hub. Remove the shafts.
- Remove the cap screws and lock washers retaining the cover to the carrier. Remove the carrier cover and gasket.
- Mark one side of the carrier and matching cap for reassembly in the same position. Remove the bearing caps.
- Using a spreader tool and a dial indicator gauge, spread the carrier assembly to a maximum of 0.015 in.
- Remove the dial indicator tool. Use a prybar and remove the differential case from the carrier.
- Record the dimension and location of the side bearing shims. Remove the spreader tool.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- As required, raise and support the vehicle safely. Drain the lubricant.
- Remove the axle shaft from the drive unit and housing. Disconnect the universal at the pinion shaft.
- Remove the carrier to housing stud nuts and washers. Loosen the two top nuts and leave the studs to prevent the carrier from falling.
- Break the carrier loose from the axle housing using the proper hammer.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Observe the following carrier-to-housing tightening specifications: