REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Paper Element Type
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen, then remove the wing nut, or other retainer, from the top of the cover.
- Remove the cover from the air cleaner housing.
- The element should be replaced when it has become oil saturated or filled with dirt.
- If the filter is equipped with a wetted wrapper, remove the wrapper and wash it in kerosene or similar solvent. Shake or blot dry. Saturate the wrapper in engine oil and squeeze it tightly in an absorbent towel to remove the excess oil. Leave the wrapper moist. Clean the dirt from the filter by lightly tapping it against a workbench to dislodge the dirt particles.
- Wash the top of the air cleaner housing and wipe it dry.
- If equipped, replace the crankcase ventilation filter, located in the air filter housing, if it appears excessively dirty.
- Replace the oiled wrapper on the air cleaner element and reinstall the element in the housing.