REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the steering wheel, preload spring, and cancelling cam.
- Remove the shaft lever roll pin and shaft lever (if applicable).
- Remove the turn signal lever screw and the lever.
- Push the hazard warning knob in. This must be done to avoid damaging the switch.
- Disconnect the switch wire from the chassis harness located under the dash.
- Remove the mast jacket upper bracket.
- Remove the switch wiring cover from the column.
- Unscrew the mounting screws and remove the switch, bearing housing, switch cover, and shaft housing from the column.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
See Figure 2
- Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- Loosen the three cover screws and lift the cover off the shaft. On 1976-79 models, place a drift pin in the cover slot and pry out to free the cover.
- The round lockplate must be pushed down to remove the wire snapring from the shaft. A special tool is available to do this. The tool is an inverted U-shape with a hole for the shaft. The shaft nut is used to force it down. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove. Discard the snapring.
- Remove the tool and lift the lockplate off the shaft.
- Slip the canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring, and thrust washer off the shaft.
- Remove the turn signal lever. Push the flasher knob in and unscrew it.
- Pull the switch connector out of the mast jacket and tape the upper part to facilitate switch removal. On tilt wheels, place the turn signal and shifter housing in Low position and remove the harness cover.
- Remove the three switch mounting screws. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness cover through the column.
- Install the replacement switch by working the connector and cover down through the housing and under the bracket. On tilt models, the connector is worked down through the housing, under the bracket, and then the cover is installed on the harness.
- Install the switch mounting screws and the connector on the mast jacket bracket. Install the column-to-dash trim plate.
- Install the flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
- With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher knob out, slide the thrust washer, upper bearing preload spring, and canceling cam into the shaft.
- Position the lockplate on the shaft and press it down until a new snapring can be inserted in the shaft groove.
- Install the cover and the steering wheel.