The fuel supply pump on 350 (5.7L) diesel engines is a single action diaphragm type and is serviced by replacement only. No adjustments or repairs are possible. The pump is operated by a pushrod between the camshaft eccentric and the fuel pump which operates the pump rocker arm.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When you connect the fuel pump outlet fitting, always use two wrenches to avoid damaging the pump.
- Disconnect the fuel intake and outlet lines at the pump and plug the pump intake line.
- Remove the upper bolt from the right front mounting boss. Insert a long bolt ( 3 /8 in.-16 x 2 in.) in this hole to hold the fuel pump pushrod.
- Remove the two pump mounting bolts and lockwashers; remove the pump and its gasket.
- If the rocker arm pushrod is to be removed, remove the two adapter bolts and lockwashers and remove the adapter and its gasket.
- Install the fuel pump with a new gasket reversing the removal procedure. Coat the mating surfaces with sealer.
- Connect the fuel lines and check for leaks.