See Figures 1 and 2
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Follow the steps of the Front Hub section above.
- Pull out the axle shaft and universal joint assembly.
- When installing the axle shaft, turn the shaft slowly to align the splines with the differential.
- Reassemble everything and adjust the wheel bearings following the steps in the Front Hub section in this Section.
AXLE SHAFT U-JOINT OVERHAUL
- Remove the axle shaft.
- Squeeze the ends of the trunnion bearings in a vise to relieve the load on the snaprings. Remove the snaprings.
- Support the yoke in a vise and drive on one end of the trunnion bearing with a brass drift enough to drive the opposite bearing from the yoke.
- Support the other side of the yoke and drive the other bearing out.
- Remove the trunnion.
- Clean and check all parts. You can buy U-joint repair kits to replace all the worn parts.
- Lubricate the bearings with wheel bearing grease.
- Replace the trunnion and press the bearings into the yoke and over the trunnion hubs far enough to install the lock rings.
- Hold the trunnion in one hand and tap the yoke lightly to seat the bearings against the lock rings.
- The axle slingers can be pressed off the shaft.
Always replace the slingers if the spindle seals are replaced.
- Replace the shaft.