K30 Series 4-Wheel Drive
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Remove the hub and spindle as previously outlined. Check the bronze spacer between the axle shaft joint assembly and bearing, if worn it must be replaced.
- Remove the upper king pin cap nuts alternately, as the spring pressure will be forcing the cap up.
- Remove the cap, compression spring, and gasket. Discard the gasket.
- Remove the four cap screws from the lower king pin bearing cap. Remove the gearing cap and king pin.
- Remove the upper king pin tapered bushing and knuckle from the yoke. Remove the felt seal and remove the knuckle.
- Remove the upper king pin from the yoke with a large breaker bar.
- Remove the lower king pin bearing cup, cone, grease retainer, and seal. Discard the seal. If the grease retainer is damaged, replace it.
- Install the new grease retainer and lower king pin bearing cup using special tool J-7817 or its equivalent.
- Fill the grease retainer, grease the bearing and install. Install the lower seal using tool J22281 or its equivalent.
- Install the upper king pin using tool J18871 or its equal. Torque to 500-600 ft. lbs.
- Install the felt seal on the king pin.
- Install the knuckle and tapered bushing over the king pin.
- Install the lower bearing cap and king pin. Torque the cap screws to 90 ft. lbs.
- Place the compression spring on the upper king pin bushing. Install the bearing cap with a new gasket. Torque the nuts to 90 ft. lbs.