See Figures 1 and 2
All engines except the 454 use a thread type IAC valve. The 454 is equipped with a flange type IAC valve which is attached with screws.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the idle air control valve.
- On the threaded type, use a 1 1 /4 in. (32mm) wrench or tool J-33031, remove the idle air control valve.
- On the 454 engine, remove the retaining screws and remove the IAC valve.
- To adjust the threaded type without a collar compress the valve retaining spring, while turning the valve "in". On all others, exert firm pressure, with slight side to side movement, on the pintle to retract it.
- To complete the installation, use a new gasket and reverse the removal procedures. Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.
The ECM will reset the idle speed when the vehicle is driven at 30 mph.