REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise the vehicle and support it so that there is no tension on the leaf spring assembly.
- Loosen the spring-to-shackle retaining bolts. Do not remove these bolts.
- Remove the securing bolts which attach the shackle to the spring hanger.
- Remove the nut and bolt which attach the spring to the front hanger.
- Remove the U-bolt nuts and remove the spring plate.
- Pull the spring from the vehicle.
- Inspect the spring and replace any damaged components.
If the spring bushings are defective, use the following procedures for removal and installation. The3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks use bushings that are staked in place. The stakes must first be straightened. When a new bushing is installed stake it in 3 equally spaced locations. Using a press or vise, remove the bushing and install the new one.
- Place the spring assembly onto the axle housing
The shackle assembly must be attached to the rear spring eye before the rear shackle is installed.
- Position the spring retaining plate and the U-bolts (loosely).
- It will be necessary to jack the frame in some manner to align the spring and shackle with the spring hangers.
- Install the shackle bolt and nut and reposition the spring if necessary in order to align the front eye. Position the front eyebolt and nut.
- Torque the hanger and shackle fasteners to 110 ft. lbs. (149 Nm).
Make sure that the bolts are free turning in their bushings prior to tightening.
- Lower the truck so that the weight is on the suspension components. Torque the U-bolt nuts to specification listed in the back of this section.
- Lower the truck completely and remove the jacks.