REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise the truck and support the axle with safety stands. Remove the tire.
- Disconnect the lower shock absorber mount at the axle.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the bar. Remove the nut, washer and insulator and pull the link from the axle-don't lose the other insulator and retainer.
- Remove the nuts and washers and lift out the U-bolts and spacer. Disconnect the spring from the axle.
- Disconnect and separate the spring from the rear shackle and the front hanger. Remove the spring.
- Installation is the reverse of removal, but please note the following important steps.
- Position the spring so it lines up with the shackle and the hanger. The double wrap end should face forward.
- Tighten the hanger and shackle bolts to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm) on 1988-95 models and 136 ft. lbs. (185 Nm) on 1996-98 models.
- Position the spring spacer so that the aligning pin contacts the edge of the spring and tighten the U-bolt nuts, diagonally to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Retighten the nuts to 80 ft. lbs. (109 Nm) on 1988-95 models and 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm) on 1996-98 models.
- Attach the retainer and insulator and then insert the stabilizer link into the proper hole in the axle. Tighten the nut until the distance between each retainer is 38mm (1 1 / 2 in.).
- Tighten the stabilizer link-to-bar nut to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Install the shock to the axle and tighten the lower mounting nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).