REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the front of the truck and support it with safety stands. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake caliper and hub/rotor assembly.
- Loosen the mounting bolts and remove the anchor plate and splash shield. Press out the steering rod and let it hang by the rods. Unfasten the bolts attaching the anchor plate to the splash shield and separate the steering arm from the tie rod and Pitman arm.
- Remove the brake hose bracket.
- Remove the gaskets. Remove the caps from the knuckle.
- Remove the nut, washer and lock pin and then drive the king pin out of the knuckle with a drift. Collect the spacers and bushings.
- Disconnect the knuckle from the axle.
- Remove the dust seal, shim and thrust bearing.
- Install new bushings and ream them to 1.1804-1.1820 in. (29.982-30.022mm).
- Install the knuckle to the axle and install the thrust bearing, shim and dust seal. Lubricate the king pin and install it with the spacers in the order in which they came out. Install the washer, nut and lock pin. Tighten the nut to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the gaskets, caps and brake line bracket. Tighten the mounting bolts to 60 inch. lbs. (7 Nm).
- Connect the steering arm and install the splash shield and anchor plate. Tighten the bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm) and the nuts to 230 ft. lbs. (312 Nm).
- Install the hub assembly and adjust the wheel bearings. Install the caliper and wheels and then lower the truck. Check the alignment.