REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disengage the fuel meter body electrical connection and the fuel feed and return hoses from the engine fuel pipes.
- Remove the upper manifold assembly.
- Tag and remove the poppet nozzle out of the casting socket.
- Remove the fuel meter body by releasing the locktabs.
Each injector is calibrated. When replacing the fuel injectors, be sure to replace it with the correct injector.
- Disassemble the lower hold-down plate and nuts.
- While pulling the poppet nozzle tube downward, push with a small prytool down between the injector terminals and remove the injectors.
- Lubricate the new injector O-ring seats with engine oil.
- Install the O-rings on the injector.
- Install the fuel injector into the fuel meter body injector socket.
- Install the lower hold-down plate and nuts. Tighten the nuts to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install the fuel meter body assembly into the intake manifold and tighten the fuel meter bracket retainer bolts to 88 inch. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the fuel meter body into the bracket and lock all the tabs in place.
- Install the poppet nozzles into the casting sockets.
- Engage the electrical connections and install new o-ring seals on the fuel return and feed hoses.
- Install the fuel feed and return hoses and tighten the fuel pipe nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds and then turn it OFF for 10 seconds. Again turn the ignition ON and check for leaks.
- Install the manifold plenum.
See Figure 3
This test requires the use of fuel injector tester J 39021 or its equivalent.
- Disconnect the fuel injector harness and attach a noid light in order to test for injector pulse.
- With the engine cool and the ignition turned OFF , install the fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure connection. Wrap a shop towel around the fitting while connecting the gauge to prevent spillage.
- Turn ON the ignition and record the fuel gauge pressure with the pump running.
- Turn OFF the ignition. Pressure should drop and hold steady at this point.
- To perform this test, set the selector switch to the balance test 2.5 amp position.
- Turn the injector ON by depressing the button on the injector tester. Note this pressure reading the instant the gauge needle stops.
- Repeat the balance test on the remaining injectors and record the pressure drop on each.
- Start the engine to clear fuel from the intake. Retest the injectors that appear faulty. Any injector that has a plus or minus 1.5 psi (10 kPa) difference from the other injectors is suspect.