REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1988-90 6.2L Engines
See Figure 1
Never smoke when working around diesel fuel! Avoid all sources of sparks or ignition.
- Disconnect the fuel intake and outlet lines at the pump and plug the pump intake line.
- You can insert a long bolt to hold the fuel pump pushrod.
- Remove the two pump mounting bolts and lockwashers; remove the pump and its gasket. The 6.2L utilizes a mounting plate between the pump and gasket.
- If the rocker arm pushrod is to be removed, remove the two adapter bolts and lockwashers and remove the adapter and its gasket.
- Install the fuel pump with a new gasket. Tighten the upper mounting bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm) and the lower bolt to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm). Heavy grease can be used to hold the fuel pump pushrod up when installing the pump. Coat the mating surfaces with sealant.
- Connect the fuel lines an check for leaks.
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cables.
- Locate the pump on the left frame rail and disconnect the electrical lead from the pump and the harness from the pump support bracket.
- Use two open end wrenches and disconnect the fuel lines at the pump.
- Remove the pump support bracket screws and remove it from the brake lines.
- Remove the pump and bracket.
- Attach the pump and bracket to the frame rail.
- Attach the support bracket to the brake lines.
- Connect the fuel lines to the pump.
- Connect the harness to the bracket and then connect the lead to the pump.
- Connect the batteries.