See Figure 1
- Check all connections on the controller.
- Check the upper copper stud nuts on the controller. Do not tighten them.
- Check the engine harness ground connection and the wiring harness nuts. Tighten them to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Check that the four-wire connector at the controller is seated properly and latched.
- Tighten the controller mounting nuts to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cables.
- On the 6.2L engine and the left side only of the 6.5L, disconnect the glow plug lead wires and then remove the plugs. You'll need a 3/8 in. (9.525mm) deep-well socket.
- On the right side of the 6.5L engine, raise the truck and support it with safety stands. Remove the right front tire.
- Remove the inner splash shield from the fender well.
- Remove the lead wire from the plug at the No. 2 cylinder. Remove the lead wires from plugs in the Nos. 4 and 6 cylinders at the harness connectors.
- Remove the heat shroud for the plug in the No. 4 cylinder. Remove the heat shroud for the plug in the No. 6 cylinder. Slide the shrouds back just far enough to allow access so you can unplug the wires.
- Remove the plugs in cylinders No. 2, 4 and 6.
- Reach up under the vehicle and disconnect the lead wire at No. 8. Remove the glow plug. You may find that removing the exhaust down pipe make this a bit easier when working on Nos. 6 and 8.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Install all glow plugs and carefully tighten them to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) for the right side on the 6.5L; 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm) on all others.