REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the water pump.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley and damper.
- Remove the oil pan-to-front cover bolts.
- Remove the screws holding the timing case cover to the block, pull the cover forward enough to cut the front oil pan seal. Cut the seal flush with the block on both sides.
- Pull off the cover and gaskets.
- Use a suitable tool to pry the old seal out of the front face of the cover.
- Lubricate the new seal lip with engine oil and using a seal centering tool and installer J-23042, or equivalent, press the new seal into place. Leave the tool in position on the seal.
- Install a new front pan seal, cutting the tabs off.
- Coat a new cover gasket with adhesive sealer and position it on the block.
- Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3.17mm) bead of RTV gasket material to the front cover. Install the cover carefully in place with the centering tool still attached.
- Tighten the timing gear cover-to-block bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Tighten the cover-to-pan bolts to 45 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the damper.
- Install the water pump.
- Connect the battery cables and fill the cooling system.