REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The camshaft on these engines is gear driven, unlike the chain driven V6 and V8 engines. The camshaft must be removed to replace the gear.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the camshaft and place in an arbor press.
Support the camshaft gear not the thrust plate.
- Press the gear off of the camshaft and remove the thrust plate and the spacer.
- Support the camshaft at the front journal with tool J-22912-01 or equivalent, and mount the camshaft in a press.
- Lubricate the thrust plate with engine oil.
- Install the key if removed.
- Install the spacer making sure the chamfer in the spacer faces toward the journal radius.
- Install the thrust plate.
- Install the camshaft gear on with the timing mark to the outside and press the gear on until it bottoms on the spacer.
- Remove the camshaft from the press.
The clearance between the camshaft and thrust plate should be 0.003-0.008 in.