REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
This applies to 6.5L diesel engines only.
- Disconnect the negative battery cables.
- Remove the upper intake manifold cover.
- Remove the self-tapping screw that holds the CDR valve vent tube bracket to the top of the turbocharger and then remove the valve and tube.
- Remove the air cleaner extension from the air cleaner and compressor inlet.
- Remove the fasteners securing the air cleaner housing where it attaches to the wheel arch and lift it off the duct.
- If necessary, remove the right front wheel and the inner splash shield to access the turbocharger back flange nut.
- Tag and remove the vacuum hose to the waste gate actuator.
- Remove the turbocharger braces.
- Loosen the hose clamps at the upper intake manifold to the turbocharger.
- If necessary, use a prytool to break the seal between the connector hose, turbocharger, the compressor outlet, and the intake extension. Slide the connector hose over the intake extension.
- Disconnect the exhaust clamp at the turbocharger
- Disconnect the oil feed hose and the oil return pipe.
- Loosen the turbocharger mounting bolts, then remove the turbocharger and exhaust manifold.
- Clean all mating surfaces and coat any turbocharger fasteners with anti-seize compound.
- Position the unit on the exhaust manifold and tighten the bolts to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Install the turbocharger and the exhaust manifold assembly. Tighten the manifold bolts and studs to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Connect the oil return pipe with a new gasket and tighten the bolt to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Lubricate the oil feed hole at the top of the turbocharger with a small amount (1-2cc) of engine oil and rotate the compressor wheel by hand. This will lubricate the turbocharger shaft bearings.
- Attach the oil feed hose to the turbocharger. Tighten the fitting to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- Attach the exhaust pipe to the turbocharger and tighten the clamp to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- If removed, install the inner splash shield and the right front wheel.
Apply silicone sealant GM part number 9985943 or its equivalent to the turbocharger compressor outlet hose (not the turbocharger or inlet extension) before installation to prevent oil leakage from the closed breather system.
- Slide the connector hose over the compressor outlet and then slide the inlet extension into the other end of the connector hose making sure the hose is centered between the inlet and outlet and the inlet. Tighten the clamps to 50 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the turbocharger braces. Tighten the long brace nut to 26 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) and the long brace bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Tighten the short brace bolts to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the vacuum hose to the waste gate actuator.
- Slide the air cleaner onto the front air inlet duct and attach it to the wheelhousing using the bolts. Tighten the large diameter bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) and the smaller diameter bolt to 45 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the air cleaner extension onto the air cleaner and compressor outlet. Tighten the extension clamps to 15 inch lbs. (1.7 Nm).
- Install the CDR valve and tube, making sure to tighten the self-tapping screw securely.
- Install the intake manifold cover bolts and tighten to 90 inch lbs. (11Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cables.
- Run the engine for at least two minutes after installing the turbocharger. While the engine is running, check for oil leaks at the supply and return hoses.