Use Dexron ll® or its superseding fluid type on models through 1994. On 1995-98 models, use Dexron lll® or its superseding fluid.
FLUID LEVEL CHECK
See Figure 1
Check the four wheel drive transfer case lubricant at least twice a year.
- With the truck parked on a level surface, remove the filler plug from the rear of the transfer case (behind the transmission). Be careful not to take out the drain plug at the bottom.
- If lubricant trickles out, there is enough. If not, carefully insert a finger and check that the level is up to the edge of the hole, EXCEPT in full time four wheel drive cases which should be 1 / 2 in. (13mm) below the hole.
- Lubricant may be added, if necessary, with a funnel and tube, or a squeeze bulb.
- Tighten the plug to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
DRAIN AND REFILL
- With the transfer case warmed up, park on a level surface.
- Slide a pan of a least 6 pts. capacity under the case drain plug.
- Remove the filler plug from the rear of the transfer case (behind the transmission). Remove the drain plug from the bottom.
- Wipe the area clean and install the drain plug.
- Add lubricant with a suction gun or squeeze bulb.
When the lubricant level is up to the bottom of the filler hole, install the plug and tighten it to specifications.
4401 and 4470 models: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).