See Figure 1
Many of the electrical components in today' s vehicles are ESD sensitive and may be damaged if the following precautions are not followed. Even if you think the component you are working on is not ESD sensitive its better to follow the procedures just to be safe.
- Always touch a good known ground before handling the part. This should be repeated while handling the part and should be done more frequently if you are sliding back and forward across a seat, sitting down or walking a distance.
- Avoid touching the terminals of the component unless you are instructed to.
- When diagnosing the component using a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM), always connect the negative lead of the DVOM first.
- Do not remove the a component from its protective package until you are ready to install it.
- Before removing the component from the package, it is a good idea to ground the package on a good known ground.