REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely.
- Unplug the electrical connector at the switch.
- Unscrew the switch from the transmission case.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the switch to 21 ft. Lbs. (28 Nm).
The back-up light switch on 1995-98 models is incorporated into the neutral/park safety switch. The back-up light switch on 1988-94 models is mounted in the steering column and is covered in Suspension & Steering of this repair guide. This procedure applies to 1995-98 models only.
- Place the transmission in park and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.
- Disconnect the shift cable end from the shift control lever and remove the nut securing the shift control lever to the manual shaft.
- Unplug the electrical connector from the switch and remove the switch retainers.
- Remove the switch from the transmission.
This adjustment is performed with the switch removed from the vehicle. Neutral position tool J 41364-A or its equivalent is required for this procedure.
- Position tool J 41364-A or its equivalent onto the park/neutral switch. make sure that the slots on the switch are lined up with the lower tabs on the tool.
- Rotate the tool until the upper locator pin on the tool is lined with the slot on the top of the switch. Do not remove the tool from the switch
Before sliding the switch onto the shaft, it may be necessary to lightly file the outer edge of the shafts to remove any burrs.
- Align the switch hub flats with the manual shaft flats, then slide the switch onto the shaft until the switch mounting bracket contacts the mounting bosses on the transmission.
- Install the switch and tighten the switch retainers. Tighten the switch retainers to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Remove the adjustment tool.
- Engage the electrical connector and install the control lever to the manual shaft.
- Install the control lever nut and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the switch for proper operation. The vehicle should start in P or N only.
- If adjustment is required, loosen the switch retaining bolts and rotate the switch slightly, tighten the bolts and check switch operation.