REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Special tool J-36202, or its equivalent, is necessary for this procedure.
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the stabilizer bar-to-frame clamps.
- Remove the stabilizer bar-to-lower control arm bolts, nut/grommet assemblies and spacers.
The bolts, spacers and nuts are not interchangeable from side-to-side. Keep them separated.
- Remove the stabilizer bar and bushings.
- Check the bushings for wear or splitting. Replace any damaged bushings.
- Installation is the reverse of removal, but please note the following important steps.
- Matchmark the both torsion bar adjustment bolt positions.
- Using tool J-36202, increase the tension on the adjusting arm.
- Remove the adjustment bolt and retaining plate.
- Move the tool aside.
- Slide the torsion bars forward.
- Coat the stabilizer bar bushings with silicone grease and install them on the stabilizer bar. Note, the split in the bushing faces forward.
- When all fasteners are installed, tighten the frame clamp bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm); the end link bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Using tool J-36202, increase tension on both torsion bars.
- Install the adjustment retainer plate and bolt on both torsion bars.
- Set the adjustment bolt to the marked position.
- Release the tension on the torsion bar until the load is taken up by the adjustment bolt.