The coolant temperature sender changes resistance as the coolant temperature increases and decreases.
- Check the instrument cluster fuse condition and replace as necessary.
- Check the sender wire for damage and repair as necessary.
- Unplug the sender electrical connection.
- Attach one end of a jumper wire to the sender electrical connector and the other end of the jumper wire to ground.
- If the gauge functions properly, replace the sender.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the engine coolant.
- Disconnect the sensor electrical lead and unscrew the sensor.
- Install the sensor and tighten it to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm). Connect the electrical lead.
- Connect the battery cable and fill the engine with coolant.