REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the locking hub.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly. Refer to the procedures in this section.
- Remove the nuts and remove the caliper mounting bracket and splash shield.
Tap the end of the spindle with a plastic mallet to break it loose from the knuckle. If tapping won't break it loose, you'll have to do the following:
- Thread the bearing locknut part way onto the spindle.
- Position a 2 or 3-jawed pull with the jaws grabbing the locknut and the screw bearing in the end of the axle shaft.
- Tighten the puller until the spindle breaks free. It will be very helpful to spray Liquid Wrench®, WD-40® or similar solvent around the spindle mating area and around the bolt holes. As the puller is tightened, tap the spindle with the plastic mallet. This often helps break the spindle loose.
- Pull out the axle shaft assembly.
- Place the spacer and a new seal on the axle shaft.
The spacer's chamfer points towards the oil deflector.
- Pack the spindle bearing with wheel bearing grease.
- Slide the axle shaft into the housing. When installing the axle shaft, turn the shaft slowly to align the splines with the differential.
- Place the spindle on the knuckle. Be sure the seal and oil deflector are in place.
- Install the caliper bracket and splash shield.
- Using new washers, install the nuts and tighten them to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Install the hub and rotor assembly. Adjust the wheel bearings.
- Install the locking hubs.
- Install the caliper and then install the wheel.
AXLE SHAFT U-JOINT OVERHAUL
- Remove the axle shaft.
- Squeeze the ends of the trunnion bearings in a vise to relieve the load on the snaprings. Remove the snaprings.
- Support the yoke in a vise and drive on one end of the trunnion bearing with a brass drift enough to drive the opposite bearing from the yoke.
- Support the other side of the yoke and drive the other bearing out.
- Remove the trunnion.
- Clean and check all parts. You can buy U-joint repair kits to replace all the worn parts.
- Lubricate the bearings with wheel bearing grease.
- Replace the trunnion and press the bearings into the yoke and over the trunnion hubs far enough to install the lock rings.
- Hold the trunnion in one hand and tap the yoke lightly to seat the bearings against the lock rings.
- The axle slingers can be pressed off the shaft.
Always replace the slingers if the spindle seals are replaced.
- Replace the shaft.