REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
The following special tools, or their equivalents, are required for this procedure: J-8614-1, J-8614-2, J-8614-3, and J-22804.
- Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Using a Holding Bar Tool J-8614-1, attached to the pinion shaft flange, remove the self locking nut and washer from the pinion shaft.
- Install Tool J-8614-2, and 3 into the holding bar and remove the flange from the drive pinion. Remove the drive pinion from the carrier.
- With a long drift, tap on the inner race of the outer pinion bearing to remove the seal.
- Install the oil seal, gasket and using Tool J-22804 install the oil seal.
- Install the flange, washer and nut and tighten the nut to 270 ft. lbs. (366 Nm) for the GMC axle; 255 ft. lbs. (346 Nm) for the Dana axle.
- Install the driveshaft and lower the vehicle.