REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Disconnect the flexible coupling shield.
- Remove the attaching nut and remove the adapter.
- Remove the flexible coupling pinch bolt.
- Mark the relationship of the Pitman arm to the Pitman shaft.
- Remove the Pitman shaft nut and then remove the Pitman arm from the Pitman shaft, using a puller.
- Remove the steering gear to frame bolts and remove the gear assembly.
- Place the steering gear in position, guiding the wormshaft into the flexible coupling.
- Install the steering gear to frame bolts and tighten to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Install the flexible coupling pinch bolt. The bolt must pass through the cutout in the wormshaft. Tighten the pinch bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the adapter on the gear box. Tighten the nut to 5 inch lbs.
- Connect the flexible coupling shield.
- Install the Pitman arm onto the Pitman shaft, lining up the marks made at removal. Install the Pitman shaft nut and tighten it to 185 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).