REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
It would be best to drain the transmission before starting.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable. Disconnect the downshift cable at the carburetor.
- Raise and support the truck.
- Remove the driveshaft, after matchmarking its flange.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, downshift cable, vacuum modulator line, shift linkage, and fluid cooler lines at the transmission.
- Support the transmission and unbolt the rear mount from the crossmember. Remove the crossmember.
- Remove the converter underpan, matchmark the flywheel and converter, and remove the converter bolts.
- Support the engine and lower the transmission slightly for access to the upper transmission to engine bolts.
- Remove the transmission to engine bolts and pull the transmission back. Remove the filler tube. Rig up a strap or keep the front of the transmission up so the converter doesn't fall out.
- Reverse the procedure for installation. Bolt the transmission to the engine first tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm), then the converter to the flywheel 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Make sure that the converter attaching lugs are flush and that the converter can turn freely before installing the bolts.
Lubricate the internal yoke splines at the transmission end of the driveshaft with lithium based grease. The grease should seep out through the vent hole.