This switch prevents the engine from being started unless the transmission is in Neutral or Park. It is located on the shift linkage on the left side of the transmission. The switch is also used for the back-up lights.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Loosen the clamp on the switch actuating rod on models through 1973 or loosen the switch mounting screws on 1974 and later models.
- Make sure the transmission is in Neutral.
- Insert a pin through the hole in the switch actuating arm into the switch body to hold the switch in the Neutral position. Adjust as necessary to make the pin fit.
- Tighten the adjustment. Remove the pin.
- Check that the engine can be started only in Park and Neutral and that the backup lights go on only in Reverse. Adjust as necessary.