REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect both batteries.
- Remove the fan and fan shroud.
- Remove the intake manifold as described in Engine & Engine Overhaul .
- Remove the fuel lines as described in this section.
- Disconnect the alternator cable at the injection pump, and the detent cable (see illustration) where applicable.
- Tag and disconnect the necessary wires and hoses at the injection pump.
- Disconnect the fuel return line at the top of the injection pump.
- Disconnect the fuel feed line at the injection pump.
- Remove the air conditioning hose retainer bracket if equipped with A/C.
- Remove the oil fill tube, including the crankcase depression valve vent hose assembly.
- Remove the grommet.
- Scribe or paint a matchmark on the front cover and on the injection pump flange.
- The crankshaft must be rotated in order to gain access to the injection pump drive gear bolts through the oil filler neck hole.
- Remove the injection pump-to-front cover attaching nuts. Remove the pump and cap all open lines and nozzles.
- Replace the gasket. This is important.
- Align the locating pin on the pump hub with the slot in the injection pump driven gear. At the same time, align the timing marks.
- Attach the injection pump to the front cover, aligning the timing marks before torquing the nuts to 30 ft. lbs.
- Install the drive gear to injection pump bolts, torquing the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the remaining components in the reverse order of removal. Torque the fuel feed line at the injection pump to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). Start the engine and check for leaks.