See Figures 1 and 2
- A six cylinder EST distributor with coil-in-cap is illustrated, the 8-cyl EST distributor is similar.
- Detach the wiring connector from the distributor cap.
- Turn the four latches and remove the cap and coil assembly from the lower housing.
- Connect ohmmeter. Test 1.
- Reading should be zero, or nearly zero. If not replace coil.
- Connect ohmmeter both ways. Test 2. Use the high scale. Replace coil only if both readings are infinite.
- If coil is good, go to step 13.
- Remove coil cover attaching screws and lift off cover.
- Remove ignition coil attaching screws and lift coil with leads from cap.
- Remove ignition coil arc seal.
- Clean with soft cloth and inspect cap for defects. Replace if necessary.
- Assemble the new coil and cover to cap.
- .On all distributors, including distributors with Hall Effect Switch identified in step 27, remove rotor and pick-up coil leads from module.
- Connect ohmmeter Test 1 and then test 2.
- If vacuum unit is used, connect a vacuum source to the vacuum unit. Replace the vacuum unit if inoperative. Observe the ohmmeter throughout vacuum range: flex leads by hand without vacuum to check for intermittent opens.
- Test 1 should read infinite at all times. Test 2 should read steady at one value within 500-1,500 ohms range.
Ohmmeter may deflect if operating vacuum unit causes teeth to align. This is not a defect.
- If pickup coil is defective go to step 18. If coil is okay, go to step 23.
- Mark distributor shaft and gear so they can be reassembled in the same position.
- Drive out poll pin.
- Remove gear and pull shaft assembly from distributor.
- Remove three attaching screws and remove the magnetic shield.
- Remove retaining ring and remove pickup coil, magnet and pole piece.
- Remove two module attaching screws, a