REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the valve cover.
- Remove the rocker arm flanged bolts, and remove the rocker pivots.
- Remove the rocker arms (and the balls on the V6).
Remove each set of rocker arms/balls (one set per cylinder) as a unit. Only the V6 engines have rocker balls.
- To install, position a set of rocker arms, and balls if you have the V6, (for one cylinder) in the proper location.
Install the rocker arms for each cylinder only when the lifters are off the cam lobe and both valves are closed.
- Coat the replacement rocker arm/ball with Molycoat® or its equivalent, on the 1986 V6 engine, and the rocker arm and pivot with SAE 90 gear oil on all other engines, and install the pivots.
- Install the flanges bolts and tighten alternately.
6.2L Diesel Engine
See Figure 4
- Remove the valve cover as previously explained.
- The rocker assemblies on the 6.2L engine are mounted on two short rocker shafts per cylinder head, with each shaft operating four rockers. Remove the two bolts which secure each rocker shaft assembly, and remove the shaft.
- The rocker arms can be removed from the shaft by removing the cotter pin on the end of each shaft. The rocker arms and springs slide off.
- To install, make sure first that the rocker arms and springs go back on the shafts in the exact order in which they were removed.
Always install new cotter pins on the rocker shaft ends.
- Install the rocker shaft assemblies, torquing the bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).