3-Speed Column Shift
See Figure 1
The gearshift linkage should be adjusted each time it is disturbed or removed.
- Install the control rods to both of the levers and set both shifter levers in the Neutral position.
- Align both shifter tube levers on the mast jacket in Neutral. Install a 3 / 16 - 7 / 32 in. (4.76-5.56mm) gauge to hold them in place. The gauge is inserted in the holes of the levers.
- Connect the control rods to the tube levers, making sure that the clamps and tube levers are properly positioned in Neutral.
- Remove the gauge and move the gearshift lever through all positions to be sure that the adjustment is correct in all positions.
See Figure 2
This procedure applies to 1968-69 models only.
- Raise and support the van.
- Place the shifter lever in Neutral.
- Disconnect the 1st/2nd shift rod from the cross-shaft lever. Disconnect the 3rd/4th shift rod from the transmission lever. Disconnect the reverse cable from the reverse lever, by removing the C-clip. If necessary, manually operate the transmission and put it in Neutral.
- Remove the engine splash shield. Install a fabricated pin through the upper control shaft bracket into the cutouts in the shaft levers and into the hole in the base of the control shaft.
- Adjust the swivel on the end of the 1st/2nd rod to freely enter the cross-shaft lever hole. Reconnect the rod to the lever.
- Adjust the swivel on the end of the 3rd/4th rod to freely enter the transmission lever. Reconnect the rod to the lever.
- Adjust the swivel on the end of the reverse cable to freely enter the hole in the reverse lever. If there is not enough room for adjustment, move the cable assembly to the front or rear using the cable-to-bracket attaching nuts. Install the washer and C-clip. Tighten the swivel locknut.
- Remove the fabricated pin, reinstall the splash shields and lower the vehicle.